Greetings and Salutations!
Our bellringer this morning was a bit of an unusual Quick Write. Today’s prompt was a choice of prompts in honor of National Hobbit Day! As usual, I set the timer, they chose a prompt and wrote for five minutes.As usual, I set the timer, they chose a prompt and wrote for five minutes. They were required to include and indicate and -ly adverb dress-up. Bonus points if you include any Visual Vocabulary word we’ve had so far.
Writing
Today I introduced our first formal essay: The Personal Essay. Though we will be using the traditional essay form (Intro, Body, Conclusion, etc) the emphasis in this piece will be on the strong use of descriptive language, figures of speech, and creative thinking as they explore a very early childhood memory. I mentioned that I posted a sample essay, the grading codes and the rubric in the “About the Personal Essay” material on Google Classroom. We will go into more detail on the sample next week. This week, I spent time explaining the grading process.
The Key Word outline is due next week. They may either show it to me in class OR scan and upload it online. It is due on the due date or it will not receive credit.
Literature
Since we had an in-depth discussion last week, today we kept it short. Students had an in-class quiz over Peter Pan chapters 7 & 8. They should keep reading chapters 9-11 and complete the Reader Response worksheet this week.
Grammar
I announced the winner of our IVAN CAPP mascot! Congratulations, Adalyn! Though all entries win some extra credit points, Adalyn gets that AND bragging rights. 😎Her beautifully rendered, hand-drawn “Swashbuckling IVAN CAPP” will adorn the whiteboard during Grammar time.
The remainder of the class time I gave to students to plan their and prepare for their presentations. Due to some last minute changes, we will have two presentations next week: Interjections and Verbs!
There was no Grammar homework from me this week, other than to prepare and coordinate your presentations. Next week we will jump in with both feet and presentations will run through the end of the semester.
That’s It! Blessings on your weekend.
Mrs. G
Homework
Personal Essay KWO
Read Peter Pan Chapters 9-11
Reader Response–Whose Cell Phone?
Work on your Grammar Presentations
Material for this Week
About the Personal Essay
Class Blog–Archived class notes
No comments:
Post a Comment